Monday, July 14, 2014

Changes

Somehow six months went by without me writing a darn thing. I blame Netflix and HuluPlus. I have become a full-blown addict. I have watched every episode of Six Feet Under, Parks & Rec, Scandal, The Mindy Project, New Girl, and about 1.5 seasons of The L Word. Enough is enough. Time for a TV fast. Today is day 2 of 7. I might go longer. I only missed it for a few minutes last night and then I was over it. I'm pretty sure my sleep will improve because I'm certain that falling asleep watching TV cannot be good if one hopes to get quality sleep, plus I easily convince myself to stay awake a few minutes longer so I can finish an episode. It's a slippery slope! I used to not spend so much time watching TV. I'm not sure what happened. Since I didn't spend my down time glued in front of the TV yesterday I got a ton of stuff done. In fact, I was so tired I went to bed at 10. That's pretty unheard of for me. Usually I'm pushing it to midnight or so to watch whatever I'm currently hooked on.

Over the past few months I've been working on eating habits and increasing my exercise. I've been cooking more, eating more veg, and have developed an insatiable appetite for spicy and sour food.  I recently made picked red onion and it was THE BOMB.
Lentil salad, turkey burger with Swiss, and pickled red onion.
I've been also been faithfully logging on MyFitnessPal for 90+ days and it's definitely helping my awareness. I don't have a very good sense of what I'm eating unless I track but I think that's getting better, too. Initially I was always hungry and trying to figure out how to squeeze out a few extra calories. Now, many days I leave calories on the table. I go over now and again too, but usually nothing major. I think the overall picture looks good. I'm also working on being OK with imperfections in this area. In the past I would chastise myself for not achieving 100% success and soon I would find myself discouraged and give up. Now I try to think something more along the lines of "pretty good day" or "meh, not your best day, there's always tomorrow." I am trying to give myself the same freedom to be a human as I would my friends. I would never scold a friend for a night's indulgence or one too many trips for froyo. I would tell them to dust off and try again. So far I've lost about 20 pounds. Same goes for the scale. I had a couple weigh-ins where I had gained a few. Instead of freaking out about what a loser I am I told myself, "oh well, try to be a bit more conscientious next week and see what happens. The most important thing is being healthy, not what the scale says." Inevitably, the couple pounds disappeared without me being a total bitch to myself. Usually the only thing I needed to adjust was increasing my water intake. I tend to be bloaty by nature and not drink enough water. Easy enough fix.

On the exercise front I've been trying new things. Historically I have generally not been a fan of any sort of exercise other than maybe yoga. I just wrapped up an water exercise class that I really enjoyed. I've tried Zumba a few times with the BFF. Tomorrow I'm trying a yoga class at a studio I've not visited before. I'm trying to stay open and see what happens. My friend Kelly even promised to teach me to throw and catch so I can try out softball next year (a friend asked me to play this year). It's unlikely I'll become a hardcore athlete but it feels good to move my body and get around a bit easier. I've noticed that stairs are much easier than they were a few months ago. After knee surgery last summer my knee got very weak and it was really hindering my comfort in doing a lot of activities. Slowly things have started to improve. I've been walking a lot and taking the stairs when it's practical and sometimes just for a few extra steps. Oh! I got a Fit Bit. I <3 it. It's made such a huge difference in being able to gauge my activity for the day. I have a 6k daily goal and being able to see progress throughout the day really helps me plan my day. Since I work on a college campus it's pretty easy to find an excuse to walk somewhere most days. Lately it's been pretty damn hot for lunch time walking but I can still sneak in a few extra steps in the tunnels and by weaving in and out of buildings. Next up, I'm going to dust off my bike and take it for a spin.

What have you been up to this summer?




No comments:

Post a Comment